The small garden only takes up 2.5 acres but features 1,200 varieties of roses from over 20 countries. Rome’s Rose Garden was founded in 1930 by Countess Mary Gayley Senni, who was fond of the flower. The original garden was destroyed during Word War II but was reopened in its present site in 1950. Roses are popular wherever wine is grown because the flower is susceptible to fungal diseases. They are often used in vineyards as ‘plant spies.’ A rose planted at the end of a row of grapes will warn a farmer if fungal diseases are present that could be damaging to the grapes.
The Rose Garden is located on the Aventine Hill, near Circus Maximus (Circo Massimo). The entrance is close to the Guiseppi Mazzini monument – just follow the scent of the roses. It’s a beautiful place to relax and enjoy the colorful flora.
Roseto Comunale (Rome Rose Garden)
Via di Valle Murcia 6
Open Daily 8a-7:30p, until June 24